NMMU Second Semester Application
APPLICATIONS FOR SECOND SEMESTER INTAKE
In order to ensure adequate time for processing and testing by NMMU and yourself, applications for the second semester should be submitted by the latest 31 May . In addition, places in some qualifications are limited, and it is therefore in your best interest to submit your application early. Please refer to the “– 2nd Semester intake and qualification guidelines document” prior to applying, as a limited number of qualification(s) are open for the second semester intake.
Early applications: 31 May (no fee)
Late applications: 01 June to 20 June (no fee)
To apply for a second semester qualification please apply here, as online applications are NOT open for second semester applications. Only manual applications (hard copy) will be considered for possible admission. Please ensure that you have familiarised yourself with the specific admission requirements, prior to applying.
APPLICATIONS FOR ACADEMIC ADMISSION: 2020 JANUARY INTAKE
Online applications for NMMU’s 2020 January intake will open in April. In order to ensure adequate time for processing, testing, portfolios, interviews and planning by NMMU and yourself, applications for admission in 2020 should be submitted before 1 August . In addition, places for some qualifications are limited; it is therefore in your best interest to submit your application early.
Master’s and doctoral degrees by research candidates can apply at any time of the year – application is free. Postgraduate applicants must also complete the relevant Postgraduate form (U24) in addition to the standard Postgraduate application form.
You may apply by following one of these routes:
- Apply online;
- Request an application form by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your postal address. The application package will then be posted to your postal address; or
- Request the application form by phoning (041) 504 1111; or
- Personally collect an application form from any of the Admissions Enquiries counters, on South Campus, Missionvale Campus and George Campus;
- Postgraduate applicants must also complete the relevant Postgraduate form in addition to the standard Postgraduate application form (which can be found on the right-hand side of this page). For information on postgraduate programmes, please consult the General Information and Admission Requirements for Postgraduate Programmes.
- Make sure you have paid the Application fee (international students only), before submitting your application form (see below for methods of payment).
- Your application form must be accompanied by:
- (i) a certified copy of your final Grade 11 report and;
- (ii) a most recent Grade 12 (June/Sept) report (No March results), or if you have already passed the matriculation examination, a certified copy of your matriculation certificate, or results as well as certified copies of diploma/degree certificates and academic records for postgraduate applications,
- (iii) a certified copy of your ID/Passport,
- (iv) a certified copy of the identity document of your parent/legal guardian/surety,
- (v) declaration by your parent / legal guardian / surety if you are a dependent, or currently at school, or studying at a tertiary institution, or have recently left school and do/will not have permanent employment when applying or studying at the university.
- Either an acknowledgement letter or outcome of your admission will be sent to you within 10 working days during April to June. During the period leading up to the closing dates stipulated above the turnaround time will be 14 – 20 working days.
- If your admissions points and school subjects do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen programme, you may be requested to write an access assessment test.
- Some programmes have additional selection requirements; please consult the Undergraduate Guide for your specific faculty:
- You may track the status of your application.
- The outcome of your application will be conveyed to you via sms, or a letter posted to your postal address. Please ensure that we have your correct cell phone number.
- If you are provisionally admitted you will receive an Orientation Booklet together with registration information in November/December.
- Final acceptance is subject to your final NSC results meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen programme.
- You can use one of the following methods to pay application fees:
- Money order (purchased at a post office)
- Postal order (purchased at a post office)
- Cheque. The cheque must be crossed and marked “not transferable”.
- Cashiers: payment can be made personally at the university.
- Please do not send cash in the post.
Applicants who have studied at other tertiary institutions
- In order to ensure adequate time for processing, assessment testing and planning by NMMU and yourself, applications for admission in 2020 should be submitted by 1 August – No application fee for South African applicants.
- Late applications will be considered after this date based on academic merit until 31 October – No application fee for South African applicants.
- Submit together with your application form, a certified copy of your official academic record and certificate of conduct as well as a certified copy of your school leaving certificate.
- Should you be applying for module exemptions, download the module exemption form and complete it and note that there is a module exemption fee to be paid before the exemption can be processed. You must attach copies of module outlines/syllabus.
- The application fees above are applicable for International applicants.
The Admissions Office
PO Box 77000
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
NMMU Banking Account Details
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch code: 051001
Account No.: 080263011
Reference: Write the word: Application and your name
Fax payment receipt to: 041 504 4722
Please attach a copy of the direct deposit or proof of payment to your application form.
Allow three working days for processing. Also keep a copy of the direct deposit or proof of payment should be in your possession at all times.
Clearly indicate the following on the postal or money order or on the back of your cheque:
- Your full initials and surname
- Write the words: “payment of application fees”
- Payable to Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University. The original money or postal order or cheque must be stapled to your application form.
Application fees are non-refundable. Payment of application fees does not guarantee entry to the university. Please do not send cash in the post.