2020 University of Fort Hare Online Application Form
DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO STUDY?
It is a good idea to have a career objective in mind, check the admission requirements of the various qualifications offered at the University of Fort Hare.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Submit your application form and all the necessary documentation including application fee before closing date.
Application Form (Click here to download form)
Undergraduate Programmes @ R120 – Closing Date: 31st October
(No late applications will be accepted)
2. An SMS will be sent to you informing you of the status of your application
thereafter a letter of confirmation.
3. Current matriculants who qualify based on their Grade 12 mid-term performance, are provisionally admitted pending the submission of their final matric results and subject to availability of space.
4. Successful applicants will receive an admission letter, together with a registration guide, which reflects the registration dates and orientation programme. It is important to note that all applicants who wrote the National Senior Certificate (NSC) are required to write the National Benchmark test (NBT) before they are allowed to register for their 1st year at University.
Read more about this compulsory test on www.nbt.ac.za. In which school- leaving category do you fall?
National Senior Certificate (NSC)? The NSC is the new school-leaving qualification since 2009.
Pre-2008 matriculation certificate? This is the old school-leaving qualification before 2009.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR BACHELOR’S DEGREES
• Minimum of level 4 in English 1st Additional Language or
• Minimum of level 3 in English Home Language.
• Minimum of Level 4 or better in four 20-credit subjects from the designated list, excluding Life Orientation.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR MATURE AGE APPLICANTS
Mature age applicants (turning 23 years during year of registration), who have met the requirements in bullets 1 – 3 above, qualify for admission to main stream programmes. They need to apply for conditional exemption from HESA.
Applicants who wish to enroll for a degree programme need to ensure that four of their seven subjects are from the designated list.
Senior Certificate (pre-2008)
A candidate is expected to possess a minimum level of proficiency in English language. A pass mark of at least E symbol on SG is considered to be sufficient. A pass mark of at least an F symbol on HG English 1st language is also considered to be sufficient.
A Matriculation Exemption or Further Education and Training Certificate.
A standard qualification to study for a degree is a Matriculation endorsement or equivalent.
How to calculate your minimum admission point score (APS)
ARE YOU A INTERNATIONAL APPLICANT WITH FOREIGN SCHOOL-LEAVING?
All applicants with non-South African School-leaving require a certificate of exemption from the Matriculation Board of South Africa for admission into an undergraduate qualification. For more information regarding the Matriculation Exemptions please visit the Matriculation Board website on www.he-enrol.ac.za
The University of Fort Hare will also submit applications to the Matriculation Board on behalf of the applicant on submission of the following:
Form M30E (also available from the matriculation board website); Copies of educational qualification (certified at the University); Copy of Passport or birth certificate (certified at the University);
Exemption application fee charged at R400.00 (payable at the University); and
Sworn English translation of documents required where applicable.
All applicants with non-South African qualifications are required to have their qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). For more information regarding evaluation of qualifications please visit the SAQA website: www.saqa.org.za
Student selection and admissions process
1. Students receive application forms from the Students Registration Office through the post/
2. These are completed and returned to the Students Registration Office and get sorted
3. Then the faculty selection committee (Deputy Dean: Teaching and Learning, Faculty
HODs and Administrators) convenes to do the selection.
4. Admission is done on merit, using the Swedish point system.
High scores are considered first in chronological order For interview programmes students are invited for presentations prior to selection *
The current matrics are provisionally accepted pending their matric final
results and availability for admission into programmes, plus NBT results
The application forms are checked and signed by the Faculty
Manager according to the admission status.
Once the forms are signed, they are given back to the Students Registration Office to capture the status which is then communicated to the students as backup.
The Faculty keeps records of the accepted students as backup. Wait listed students are considered after registration of
Accepted students get notification from the Students
Alice Campus Tel.: 040 602 / 2053/ 2122/ 2174/ 2281
East London Campus Tel.: 043 704 7155 / 7266 / 7004 / 7139