University of Pretoria NSFAS details 2020
Please note that there is a new application process for financial aid for the 2020 academic year.
UP bursaries and loans:
- Applications must be submitted through the UP Student Portal or www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding. Applications are open from 4 August to 31 October . No late applications will be accepted.
On 1 August , NSFAS will open central applications for students who require financial assistance. There are two cycles for application:
- 1st Cycle: 1 August to 30 November: Students entering university for the first time in 2020 , including matriculants;
- 2nd Cycle: 1 September to 30 November: All university students who were not funded by NSFAS in .
For applications and comprehensive information please visit www.nsfas.org.za. Applications close on 30 November .
Students who are already funded for the academic year should not apply, as NSFAS already has their information.
|Applications open||Applications close||Application website||Contact information|
|1 August of the year preceding studies||30 November
of the year preceding studies
Tel: 0860 067 3276
Note: NSFAS IS NOT a bursary scheme. It is a study loan from government of which a portion may be converted to a bursary based on excellent academic achievement. See detail about this loan under LOANS section above.
If you are:
- still at school and figuring out how to fund further studies, or
- currently studying and needing funds to further your studies, then you need to apply for a NSFAS loan on their website, www.nsfas.org.za before 30 November .
- NSFAS is a government loan scheme to assist financially needy, but academically deserving students. These loans are available for all fields of study at a low interest rate.
- Loans are available to South African citizens who are engaged in full-time undergraduate study to obtain a first tertiary educational qualification, who meet the criteria as determined by NSFAS.
- Loans are not guaranteed and are awarded subject to the availability of funds.
- The loan does not accrue interest during your period of study. The loans are only repaid after studies have been completed or discontinued.