Westerford High Admissions Policy
- The provision of this admission policy are subject to their meeting the requirements of The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa and all applicable legislation including the stipulations of the South African Schools Act and the Western Cape School Education Law.
- No pupil will be refused admission to Westerford on grounds of race, religious belief or financial circumstances.
- Every effort will be made to ensure that the ratio of boys and girls in each standard remains approximately equal.
- Learners must have an adequate command of English, the language of instruction at Westerford.
- All applications for Grade 8, must be submitted by the last day of the 1st term of the year prior to admission
- Where selection becomes necessary because the number of applicants exceeds the number of available places, selection shall be based on the following criteria:
- Preference will be given to siblings, except where this is not in the best interests of the child;
- Preference will be given to applicants to whom Westerford is the nearest high school provided that application is submitted in time;
- Preference will be given to applicants with a record of academic success in identified areas;
- Preference will be given to applicants with a record of involvement or who demonstrate an interest in one or more of the cultural and sporting activities which form part of Westerford’s co-curricular programme;
- Special provision will be made in the selection process for applicants from educationally disadvantaged communities;
- The capacity of the school to provide an acceptable quality of education to the applicant; this provision applies particularly to applicants with special needs;
- The age of the pupil;
- Preference will be given to children of past pupils of Westerford.
- Application forms are available from the beginning of the 1st term.
- These forms must be collected from the School office. Forms are NOT available electronically.
- Normally in excess of 1000 applications are received.
- Approximately 600 are selected based on:
- Academic standards in English and Mathematics.
- All-round participation and ability.
- “Potential” in the above.
- Ease of access to the School on a reliable transport network.
- Approximately 450 candidates are invited for an interview.
- All interviews are on a one-on-one, personal basis, lasting approx. 10 minutes.
- Preference (but no guarantee) is given to;
- Westerford siblings.
- Academic ability (mainly in English and Mathematics).
- Participation and/or potential in sport and/or cultural activities.
- Community involvement.
- The ability to converse in English.
- Confidence and leadership potential.
- Personality and character.
- In all of the above the primary focus is on choosing pupils who will deal positively with a strong academic programme, while being fully involved in the extra-curricular life of the School.
NB: Financial status of the parents is not taken into consideration when evaluating enrolment applications
- Acceptance and non-acceptance letters are posted on the last day of term 2.
- Applicants must accept the offer by the end of the second week of the third term.
- Unsuccessful candidates are placed on a “waiting list”.
- All appeals must be submitted in writing to the School. No verbal communication will be considered.
- Appeals will be considered only once all successful candidates have responded.
- Unsuccessful candidates will be notified by the end of the third term.
- Further appeals must be lodged directly with the Department of Education District Office.
School fees for : R34,500.00 per learner for the year
The following fee structure is applicable to .
Fees may be paid in one of the following ways:
- One payment of R33, 250.00 representing a R1, 250 discount on the annual fees if paid by 28 February ;
- One payment of R34, 500.00 if paid after 28 February ;
- Ten monthly payments by Debit Order of R3, 450.00;
- Twelve monthly payments by Debit Order of R2, 875.00;
- Four quarterly payments of R8, 625.00 payable at the start of each term;
- 10 or 12 monthly direct payments at the beginning of each month.
Note: When making payment please note that cheques must be made out to Westerford High School, and should be attached to the tear-off Remittance Advice slip from your statement. If depositing directly, please provide your name and school account number as your reference so that your account can be credited correctly. It would be appreciated if all large cash payments were deposited directly into the school’s bank account.
|Bank||Standard Bank Rondebosch|
|Account Name||Westerford High School|
|Branch Code||02 5009|
|Swift Address||SBZAZA JJ (international deposits)|
|Reference||Your school account (or your child’s name)|
As the School has to upload Debit Orders by the 25th of each month, changes to banking details must be made before that date. Debit Orders are put through parents’ bank accounts on the last working day of each month, starting on 31 January . Forms may be collected from the Bursars’ office.
Parents who feel that they are unable to pay their full fees should make application for an Exemption of Fees form as soon as possible. Application forms will be available from the Bursar, Mrs Williams, from 09 January . All applications are treated in the strictest confidence, but are only considered if there is a full disclosure of all income. Applications will close on 28 February .
- Application forms are ONLY available in hardcopy.
- Collect them from the school office between 07:30 and 16:00 Monday to Friday.
- Please include the following with your completed application form:
- Certified Copy of Final Grade 6 Report for
- Certified Copy of Unabridged Birth Certificate
- R50.00 Processing Fee
- Passport Size Photograph attached to the top of page 3 of the Application
- One payment of R33 250 (representing a discount of R1 250) by the 28th February ;
- One payment of R34 500 if paid after the 28th of February ;
- 10 monthly payments, by debit order, of R3 450;
- 12 monthly payments, by debit order, of R2 875;
- 4 quarterly payments of R8 625 at the start of each term;
- 10 or 12 monthly direct payments by the beginning of each month
- Grade 8
- Only Students currently in Grade 7 may apply to enter Grade 8 at Westerford
- Grade 8 application forms are available from the front office from January
- Open days: 13, 14 and 15 February at 15h30 -17h00
- Information session: Monday 20 February at 19:00
- Closing date for Grade 8 applications: Friday 24 March
- Grades 9 to 11
- Applications for Grade 9 to Grade 11 in application forms will be available from 24 July
- All admissions requests for Grades 9 to 11 will be enqueued in a waiting list and should a position become available you will be contacted as soon as possible
- Grade 12
- Westerford does not take on new students into Grade 12